Transnational Capacity Building Project for Deaf Associations in West Africa
The Ghana National Association of the Deaf (GNAD) and Danish Deaf Association (DDL) are seeking a Programs Manager for a three-year fixed-term position, starting from 1st November 2022 with the possibility of a three-year extension depending on the funding of the next phase. The Programs Manager will work as part of the GNAD Secretariat based in Accra, Ghana, and the position reports directly to the GNAD Executive Director. The key responsibility of the Programs Manager will be to manage project Coordinators/Officers under the WCARA Project and provide support to ongoing projects being implemented by GNAD in Ghana.
The Project in Short
In addition to other projects implemented by GNAD, the Programs Manager will provide strategic supervision to the World Federation of the Deaf (WFD) Regional Secretariat of West and Central Africa (WCARS) project, titled “Transnational Capacity Building Project for Deaf Associations”. The goal of the Transnational Capacity Building project is to strengthen the organizational capacities of the National Associations of the Deaf in Togo, Niger, Mali, and Cote d’Ivoire, and the WFD Regional Secretariat of West and Central Africa (WCARS) based on the lessons learned from the 14-year long project partnership between GNAD and DDL improving the capacity of GNAD to advocate for deaf people’s rights in Ghana. The WCARS project and other projects are also building on the lessons learned from the previous WFD Deaf Human Rights and Capacity Building Training Project in Western and Central Africa 2009-2012.
The project is funded by the Danish International Development Agency (DANIDA) through Disabled Peoples Organisations Denmark (DPOD).
A successful applicant is expected to have the following experiences:
- Previous, at least 3-5years of work experience in human rights, development, or a closely-related field
- Solid knowledge and experience in project management and coordination;
- Experience or desire to work with Deaf communities in Ghana and West Africa
- Experience in coordination of multiple project partners
- Applied knowledge of context and capacity assessment and data collection tools;
- Managerial experience in an NGO is desirable.
The following skills are required from a successful applicant:
- Ability to carry out tasks, make decisions independently, and meet deadlines
- Ability to successfully liaise and network with colleagues, organizations of Persons with Disabilities, national governments, and various partners in a multicultural environment;
- Fluency in reading and writing English; and some knowledge of French is an asset;
- Strong understanding and proven experience of budgeting principles and financial management;
- Good analytical, interpersonal, and reporting writing skills;
- Ability to think strategically and creatively;
- Knowledge of human rights questions, with a special focus on disability issues;
- Ability to coordinate effectively and assist the deaf community and build up stronger organizations;
- Ability to learn new tools, methods, and knowledge;
- Prior knowledge of Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) or willingness to learn the process is desirable;
- Prior knowledge of Ghanaian Sign Language is not essential but successful applicants will be required to learn the language.
To be considered for the position the candidate should have a minimum Bachelor’s Degree in Social Sciences, development studies, or other relevant disciplines.
The Programs Manager is expected to:
- Be responsible for receiving all activity reports from Project Officers/Coordinators of GNAD
- Monitoring of training and ongoing capacity-building programs in Ghana and other four (4) countries
- Review regular narrative and financial project reports to donors
- Supervise the disbursement of Local Development Funds
- Promotion, documentation, and facilitation of national and transnational knowledge and experience sharing
- Prepare quarterly, bi-annual and annual reports on project progress to Executive Director
- Deputize the Executive Director of GNAD in his absence
To apply for this position, please submit your Curriculum Vitae (CV) and a cover letter (maximum of one page) to the Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please ensure that your CV and cover letter clearly demonstrate how you meet the experiences, skills, and qualification requirements of the role. Please provide also three written letters of reference from professional contacts.
For applicants with proven knowledge of Sign Language, a short statement in any of the project countries’ national Sign Language about your experience in project work (maximum of 2 minutes), uploaded to Vimeo or YouTube with the appropriate link is an advantage but not a requirement.
All application materials shall be written in English.
Salary expectations may be mentioned in the letter of application but the final salary is determined by the project budget.
Shortlisted candidates’ interviews are expected to be carried out via Zoom or meet face-to-face in Accra.
Deadline for submission of applications is 15th September 2022
1 thought on “Job Vacancy -Programs Manager”
I Will be very happy if am given this opportunity thank you